February 14, 2012

Chickpea Curry


Hello friends and Happy Friend's Day! 

That's right, in Finland we celebrate friends on February 14 - we send cards to all our friends and thank them for their friendship. I don't know about you, but to me that sounds much nicer than a day spent celebrating just couples, don't you think? 

As one gets older, friendships tend to change somewhat. There is no need to spend every spare minute with you BFF and it doesn't matter so much if you only see your friends every now and then. I have known some of my friends for more than 25 years and those are the friendships I know will last the time and distance between us.

I made this curry for my best friend last night. It is warming, welcoming and comforting. It nourishes and satisfies. It's my way of saying "I love you."


"All love that has not friendship for its base is like a mansion built upon the sand."
Ella Wheeler Wilcox


Chickpea Curry
(Recipe inspired by Foodispower.org)

1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
small piece of fresh ginger, grated
1 medium sized sweet potato, cut into 2cm cubes
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
pinch of chilli flakes or cayenne pepper
pinch of salt
200g cooked chickpeas
1 small red capsicum, sliced
4-5 kale leaves, cut into strips (you can also use spinach)
400ml coconut milk

1. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the garlic and ginger. Cook for one minute, then add the chopped sweet potato and a dash of water.

2. While the sweet potato is cooking, heat the spices in a small dry pan for 1/2 minute or until fragrant. Add the spices onto the pan with the sweet potato and continue to cook until the sweet potato is just tender. 

3. Add the capsicum and chickpeas and a pinch of salt. Cook for a further few minutes, then add the coconut milk. Finally stir in the kale leaves. Heat through and serve warm.

 

19 comments:

  1. That looks absolutely delicious. I will definitely try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeey, I'm so happy with this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful and wholesome curry, Maria! I would love to try this sometime. It looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I love this! I'm really into curries and heat right now, and this dish looks like it would warm me straight through. I think Friend's day is wonderful, and wish you a happy Friend's day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so simple to create, can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful day! Def much better than just couples. What a great way to show your friend you love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm happily married, but couldn't agree more that Friend's Day is a much nicer idea than Valentine's Day. I remember perfectly well the days when I wore all black on Valentine's Day. So happy Friend's Day to a food blogger who's climbing straight to the top of my favorites list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank You*! i just adore making healthy foods for friends & family, that is true Love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of Friends Day, it's much nicer than the Hallmark enforced V-Day. I think next year we might have to invite our friends over for dinner and make a night of it.

    The curry sounds lovely too, chickpeas are such a versatile little addition to the pantry and I love how the sweet potato has made everything a little orange.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Maria, in Poland we do something similar for all our loved ones and friends as well, it's more of a celebration of relationships in general, and those whom we cherish. Your chickpea curry (one of my favourite vegetarian / vegan dishes) looks absolutely fab!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love a good chickpea curry and yours looks delicious! I agree that I much prefer Friend's Day to Valentine's day. I always love a good reason to catch up and eat with friends!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds delicious! Hyvää ystävänpäivää:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Friend's Day, Maria :) ! Have to check up whether there is an Estonian counterpart? The chickpea curry looks colourfully inviting and will be tried! Even long after SV's Day! Meanwhile 'Hyvää ystävänpäivää!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Friend's Day :) This sounds like a wonderful curry, all those spices and coconut....a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Maria! I posted Japanese curry udon today, but I have to say yours are much healthier and more beautiful! I want to eat your curry! I didn't know about "Friend's Day". That's sweet. You don't want to know how Japanese celebrate this day....super commercialized! Happy Friend's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy V Day Maria! I just posted a Chickpea Salad on the blog, Great minds huh? Your curry looks nourishing and nice. Love, love chickpeas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This Finnish tradition is much better than this odd Valentine's day! A day for all :) For me is your curry. Chickpea and sweet potato, a feast for my senses!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another reason why I love Finland! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with finland! Love it. Thanks for the 21 recipes! Can't wait to try them out.

    ReplyDelete