March 27, 2012

Brussels sprouts, kale and brown rice salad with goji berries and miso tahini dressing


I was tempted to call this dish "a super salad", but seeing that my previous post was called "Super toasted muesli", I figured I should leave the "super" part out and come up with something else. I decided to call it what it is - new season Brussels sprouts, fabulously fresh Australian-grown organic brown rice, gorgeous kale and goji berries drizzled with delicious miso-tahini dressing. 

I am so happy with this combination of seasonal ingredients! I threw in the goji berries for colour and good measure, but they actually bring another layer of texture in this dish. The creamy miso-tahini dressing is a must and do go quite liberal with it, too.


I need to say a word about this rice. I bought a bag of long-grain brown rice from the local farmers' markets on Sunday. This rice, grown a mere 600 kilometres from Sydney (and this really is a mere distance in the Australian scale), on a relatively small organic farm is superior to any other rice I've ever eaten. Fair enough, one kilo of this rice cost me $10, but in my opinion, supporting a small farmer and getting a guaranteed fresh produce (this rice was milled just last week) is worth every penny. On a curious note, have a listen to this radio interview with Peter Randall, the rice grower I met at the markets http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2011/12/15/3391849.htm


Brussels sprouts, kale and brown rice salad with goji berries and miso-tahini dressing
(serves 2)

10 Brussels sprouts
bunch of kale
2 green shallots
2-3 tablespoons goji berries
1 tablespoon olive oil

2 heaped tablespoons unhulled tahini
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon tamari
1 heaped teaspoon white/shiro miso
about 3 tablespoons water

1. Remove the outer leaves of the Brussels sprouts, wash and finely slice. Finely slice the shallots and roughly chop the kale. 

2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add in Brussels sprouts, shallots and kale. Cook, stirring, for a few minutes only. Remove from the heat, throw in the rice and the goji berries and mix to combine.

3. To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk to make a smooth dressing. Add enough water for a desired consistency. Drizzle the salad with the dressing and serve warm or at room temperature.

16 comments:

  1. Wonderful! A lovely idea.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful and healthy plate. Stunning pics

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope I get more brussels from the farm! Miso Tahini dressing has me drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And here I was just thinking about what I could make with Brussels sprouts, so tired of just baking them but raw in a salad... so much better! Not to mention, SUPER would have been appropriate, its not your fault everything you make is SUPER! hahaha, love Gojis (full of vitamin c) and miso, a great fermented condiment for the healthy good bugs :) Maybe this could be your Anti Cancer Salad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, fresh and local rice - trying to imagine the taste difference. What did you notice most?

    I'm such a rice fiend as I grew up eating lots of it, and I adore it in all forms: sticky, brown, black, white, basmati... any type, but I've never had local rice (although I'm not sure we grow it in New Zealand). I'm also a "purish" and like to eat my rice plain on the side (to taste it better), but I'll have to branch out to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks absolutely amazing! it was just recently that i came across your blog (i believe i stumbled upon it via pinterst), and since then i've tried a handful of your recipes and i was impressed by each-and-every-one! thank you for the good eats and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds amazing, love the miso-tahini dressing, it would go so well on many things. I like that you can get brown rice local like that. I try to by lcal when ever I can. Like you said it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All my favorite foods! This salad is right up my alley :) Beautiful photos as always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks fantastic! Just noticed the first Brussels sprouts also: as I personally love them, another planned menu change ahead! And I do envy you your rice :) !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maria - Thank you so much for pointing out the Peter Randall interview and giving us an easy link. Have just looked and listened: I had no idea of the monopoly situation. That makes the rice even more special!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Maria! I love your photos, I have to say! (Also I adore Miso dressing!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yum, I adore brussel sprouts. Your photography is beautiful! I have subscribed via email so I don't miss one recipe! A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE brussels sprouts.. and even better in salad form! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful salad Maria, I have come to love Brussels sprouts too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made a brussels sprout salad for the first time ever recently, and you can consider me a convert. This looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice idea.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete