April 20, 2012

Earth Bowl

In honour of Earth Day, which is coming up this Sunday, I thought it would appropriate to call this dish "Earth bowl". Although not all the ingredients in this dish are locally grown (most are grown in Australia) I thought this tasty mix of flavours would make a perfect meal to raise awareness on sustainable living and climate change.

Before I came to Australia, I finished a university degree that focused on the Arctic regions and Northern resources. We had an amazing international group of students from all over the world, including the Canadian Arctic, Alaska, Northern Russia, Finland, etc. and it was truly fascinating, not to mention eye-opening, to learn how people across the Arctic regions are coping with the rapid climate change and adapting to it. Although an arguably useless degree here in Australia, I am still very passionate about this topic and find issues about climate change and sustainable living compelling.

True to my values, I do try to make 'green' choices in my everyday life - I buy locally grown food at farmers' markets, walk or use public transportation whenever possible, try to consume less, reuse and recycle more, and so on. In all honesty, I think I could do even more to help the environment, and it is certainly a goal I am constantly striving towards.


Back to these Earth bowls, however. I really love the combination of the flavours - the earthy wholegrain freekeh (grown in Australia!), chickpeas, kale and a garlicky hazelnut dressing. Served with some grilled tofu, this is truly a bowl of goodness!

Earth Bowl
(serves 2-4)

200g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight 
100g wholegrain freekeh
big bunch of kale
3 green onions
1 pomegranate
 70g hazelnuts
50ml extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard powder
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
pinch of salt
freshly ground black pepper
250g grilled firm tofu, to serve

1. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Put the chickpeas in a large pot with plenty of water. Bring the water to boil and leave to simmer for 45 minutes or until the chickpeas are tender.

2. In the mean while, put freekeh, along with 750ml water in a medium sized pot. Bring the water to boil and leave to simmer for about 45 minutes or until the grains are tender. 

3. Roughly chop the kale and finely chop green onions. Put them in a large mixing bowl. Drain the cooked chickpeas and freekeh, add them straight on top of the kale. This will wilt and soften the kale so you won't have to blanch it separately. Add pomegranate arils and toss well to combine.

4. Lightly toast the hazelnuts in a dry pan. Roughly chop the nuts, then mix half of the nuts with olive oil, minced garlic clove, mustard and apple cider vinegar. Season the dressing with a pinch of salt and pepper and pour into the salad. 

5. Toss the salad to mix, then serve sprinkled with the rest of the hazelnuts and some grilled firm tofu. 

18 comments:

  1. I love chickpeas but I still find tofu a bit tasteless. I am all for recycling and having home grown vegetables. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so delicious! I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all need to think more "green", definitely... This looks very nice and "earthy" ;)happy coming up Earth Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think we could ever stop trying harder to be green. Eating local is definitely one way to help.. actually going vegan is a great boon for the environment. Anyhow, this salad looks absolutely delicious. I am always looking for new ways with freekeh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one freakin' awesome looking bowl of goodness.

    Yay for Earth Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this earth bowl. Healthy, simple and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea and the name for this beautiful dish! Earth bowl it is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful food and great to hear abourt your green adventures, Maria <3 Always inspired when I leave!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It SOUNDS like a bowl of goodness! I completely understand about trying your best but feeling like you could do more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A girl after my own KALE lovin heart :) Sending this straight to my Kale Love board on pinterest for everyone to love and share!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are such an inspiration Maria!

    Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful Earth Day!

    Hugs from the home turf

    x Charlotta

    ReplyDelete
  12. Inspirational photography and writing, your blog always leaves me feeling so refreshed that there are others who share the love for pure,honest food and you elevate it to a new art everytime.

    Thank you
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic dish to celebrate Earth Day. I love every ingredient and flavour in this. Looks fantastic! Love the addition of hazelnuts. They are my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this salad Maria, all those wonderful flavours look & sound fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maria - you are pure genius! Had this last night (and at lunch today!) and it is such an inventive and yummy meal, and packed full of nutritional goodness. I substituted freekeh for quinoa (I was a little nervous of freekah not being gluten free) and it turned out beautifully. You are introducing so many wonderful new things to my culinary repertoire! Thank you thank you thank you Maria. You are a gem! Suzie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Suzie!

      Quinoa would work really well too, I'm sure! Glad you liked the recipe!

      Maria
      x

      Delete
  16. Love the recipe and I was so excited when I stumbled upon your site. Where do you buy your kale from in Sydney? I love it but can't find it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tash!

      I buy kale at the farmers' markets - the supply has been pretty consistent so my weekly kale stash is guaranteed! :-)

      Maria
      x

      Delete