May 08, 2012

Tunisian Breakfast Soup


I really love having soup for breakfast - miso soup is a long-time favourite of mine, but I also don't mind having just a simple vegetable soup or even just some plain vegetable stock with a bunch of kale thrown in. Whilst I can't take credit for this Tunisian breakfast soup, I do love the combination of the flavours and the idea of sitting on my balcony on a sunny winter morning with a bowl of this soup. Ideally you're ought to serve this soup with a dollop of harissa and some fresh coriander sprinkled on top, but I had neither. Instead, I enjoyed mine with some mixed seed sourdough bread. It was delicious nevertheless.

Tunisian Breakfast Soup
(Inspired by Jill Dupleix)

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 red capsicum, finely diced
5 tomatoes, chopped
500g cooked chickpeas
1 bunch kale, chopped
700ml vegetable stock
sea salt and black pepper, to taste
harissa (optional), to serve

1. Heat oil in a large pot and cook onion for a few minutes. Add cumin, coriander, most of the diced capsicum, as well as chopped tomatoes. Cook for a further few minutes.

2. Add chickpeas, kale and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes. 

3. Season the soup with salt and pepper and add the rest of the capsicum just before serving. 

 

16 comments:

  1. Delicious! Those kinds of flavors are so enjoyable.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never really considered having soup for breakfast, apart from miso, but this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realized that I've never had soup for breakfast. What a hearty soup to begin a day! It's very nutritious and makes your body nice and warm. I love your cheerful light blue background. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful combination of flavors. I can't remember ever having soup for breakfast but hey, why not?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never had soup for breakfast before, but I love soup and I love breakfast so I will certainly give it a try. Plus, kale and chickpeas just love each other - such a good food combination!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely combo for soup..yes please I would love a bowl of this for all the meals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great flavors! I wish I have a nice winter morning with which to enjoy this soup but it is a sweltering summer over here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This recipe sounds delicious.

    You are welcome to join in my monthly food blogger event THE SOUP KITCHEN, here offering a new theme each month. All bloggers are welcome, hope to see you participate soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks amazing. So pretty I must go and pin it now and then go and cook it. Thanks for sharing :-) - Erica

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy to have found your blog! Need more healthy food inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I have also only had miso soup as far as breakfast is concerned. But this looks so appetizing for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or, what about a warming midnight snack?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hold it... soup for breakfast? And, see, I thought I'd had it all! Love this idea... and I adore this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect winter lunch. What a great recipe Maria :)

    ReplyDelete