June 22, 2012

Provençal Tales - French Lentil Salad with Chanterelles


It wasn't hard to predict that I would fall in love with Provence. I mean, what is there not to love? Mediterranean climate with dry heat and lots of sun, peaceful country villages with a strong sense of community, friendly and polite people and of course the amazing food. This has to be the most idyllic way of life.

We are staying with my brother and truly immersing into the local way of life: we greet the locals on the streets with a quiet Bonjour, we go to the boulangerie around the corner to buy a fresh baguette, we shop for seasonal ingredients at the markets. 

 

I've swapped my morning power walks into quiet late afternoon strolls. My green smoothies have been replaced by fresh summer fruit and I create new recipes as I come across ingredients in the shops and at the markets. There is a slower pace of life in this idyllic village, and it's fitting perfectly with our holiday mood.

The view from our window



Quiet afternoon walks

Is there anything more Provencal than lavenders?













 At the markets in Aix-en-Provence

 


A lentil salad with dried chanterelle mushrooms seemed very appropriate for this atmosphere. Simple ingredients, honest flavours; peasant-like food. French puy lentils cook quickly and dried mushrooms are easy to prepare. Dinner is ready in half an hour. 

 French Lentil Salad with Chanterelles

200g puy lentils
vegetable stock
30g dried chanterelle mushrooms
2 shallots
bunch flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
balsamic or red wine vinegar, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Cook the lentils in vegetable stock (add about 3 times stock to the amount of lentils)  until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain if needed and pour into a large bowl.

2. Cook finely chopped shallots in olive oil or water for a couple of minutes. Add the shallots in to the bowl with lentils.

3. Soak the mushrooms in warm water for 10 minutes, then drain and plunge into boiling water for about 15 minutes. Drain and chop coarsely.

4. Mix finely chopped parsley and mushrooms with lentils and season with olive oil, balsamic or red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.

24 comments:

  1. A lovely place and a wonderful salad! That is something I really enjoy eating.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing photos! I went in Provence 3 years ago and it was beautiful, the yellow light is something spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Provence looks stunning and I'm glad you're having such a good time! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this dish. Puy lentils are my favorite and I actually had a similar salad last night for dinner.
    Your photos of Provence are beautiful, Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Provence looks amazing. So does your dish. I'm going to make it very soon. Kiitos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the most beautiful place! What an inspiration with all that beautiful produce and ambience. I happen to also have some beautiful sprouted lentils so this will be perfect :) Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore everything about this post! Beautifully written, gorgeous shots, and nothing is better than lentils & chanterelles, 2 of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lentils and chanterelles sound delicious--I'm jealous. :) (And jealous of your trip to Provence, too, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is so beautiful there! I was just in Aix en Provence a few weeks ago on holiday and it was an amazing trip. Your salad looks wonderful. I love puy lentils.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing the lovely photos & recipe and glad you had a lovely time. That part of the world holds a special place in my heart.
    Kind Regards

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful scenery, and quaint architecture. Would be hard to leave! Enjoy the rest of your stay!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its hard to believe a place like that exists! It looks beautiful there...and that salad also looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Provence, one of my favourite parts of the country and the lavender plays quite some part :) ! Love the market photo from Aix and am just a wee bit jealous not to wake up to that happy orange sight of yours :) ! Love the puy lentil salad . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh oh, how beautiful! I've so far only been to Paris, but one day....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh the photos of those sun soaked streets makes me want to pack my bags and escape this grey winter weather. Soon, I must promise myself, soon. For now I will make this delicious Provencal salad and dream of far, far away...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous pics Maria :) I should make this salad to eat while dreaming about a holiday haha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous!! Love the recipe, too, lentils and mushrooms are such a marvelous combination.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are such beautiful photos of the streets! And, of course, the salad looks delightful, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow wow wow. That looks like heaven on Earth! What a lovely region, I hope your visit continues to relax and inspire you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful photos and recipe, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful post and lovely recipe :) It's true that Provence is magical , I began to come here some years ago and finally...I stayed .I ask myself if I could live elsewhere .Enjoy your days ( even if it's very very hot now )

    ReplyDelete
  22. The lentil salad with chantarelles looks amazing! Provence looks so charming.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You should go to St Rémy de Provence, this is where I live and it is such an amazing place at this time of the year !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous photos, you are making me home sick!

    ReplyDelete