June 15, 2012

Summer at the Arctic Circle + A Recipe for Coconut Balls

Summer has finally arrived to the Arctic Circle! We've enjoyed the sunny weather, lush green landscape and outdoor activities: picking dandelions for salads, eating outside, kayaking,  hiking.
We have one more day left here in Finland before we head off to Southern France to visit my brother and then elsewhere in France for our honeymoon.

Before I start packing, I thought I'd share a few random photos from our time in my hometown, and a recipe for the coconut balls that were a huge success at our wedding! These balls are so tasty and everyone was surprised to find out they have no added sugar and no chocolate! They are certainly sweet with all the dried fruit, but tahini gives them a nice touch of savouriness. A word of warning, however, these are pretty addictive!

I love fresh dandelions! Both the flowers and the leaves are so tasty in salads.
Picking nettles at my granny's.

Uncle trying to catch some fish...

I wish I could stay until the red currants are ripe!
View from a top. My home town.
A perfect spot for a picnic after a hike.

Coconut Balls
(makes about 20 small ones)
(recipe adapted from Me Naiset magazine)

100g soft dates
100g sun-dried apricots
50g raisins
50g coconut flakes (fine) + extra for rolling
50g finely chopped almonds or walnuts
2 tablespoons unhulled tahini

1. Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until coarsely chopped, but not too mushy. 

2. Roll into balls and roll each ball in coconut flakes. Refrigerate before serving. These will keep in the fridge for a 3 days.