July 17, 2012

Wholesome Couscous Salad + A Slow Recovery


Hello dear friends!

Sorry for the silence here on the blog lately. I am finally starting to feel better after being hit hard with fever, chest infection and borderline pneumonia. I spent the whole weekend lying flat and was unable to even sit up without feeling nauseous. Not being able to eat well for days made me so weak that I fainted early on Saturday morning and my husband had to call an ambulance because I was not responding to him. Fortunately the paramedics didn't think it was necessary for me to go to the hospital so we just saw a doctor later that day and I was given a cure of antibiotics. Needless to say I have never been this sick in my life. I must have caught a super virus from our travels which then went, well, viral because I was already rundown from jetlag. I am starting to feel better already, but need to take it easy for a few more days.

This couscous salad takes me right back to Provence, once again. It is hard to believe that the wedding only happened a little over 5 weeks ago and that we've only been back in Australia for two weeks. It really feels like it's been ages since our time in my hometown and travels in France! This salad was inspired by all the local produce I was able to find fresh in season and those beautiful olives and olive oil we had everywhere in France. It is a definite summer favourite, but you could easily adapt the recipe and make it suitable for any season you like. Roasted root veggies in winter would certainly go just as well, I think.

I'll be concentrating  on work and home-improvements in the near future so things can be a bit quiet here for a while. I have quite a few more photos from our honeymoon to share with you, but they will have to wait until I get my laptop back. Hope you are all enjoying whatever season you are in and are all in good health!


Wholesome Couscous Salad
(serves 4)

250g couscous
vegetable stock
1 long cucumber
200g cooked chickpeas
2 small carrots
1/2 red onion
2 small eggplants
2 small zucchinis
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
olive oil
salt, pepper, to taste
fresh parsley
fresh basil
mixed olives
 
1. Cook couscous in hot vegetable stock. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.

2. Chop cucumber into cubes, peel and coarsely grate the carrots. Set aside.

3. Chop zucchini and eggplants into cubes. Heat oil in a large pan, add the zucchini and eggplant and cook for a few minutes. Stir in a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Set aside.

4. Mix together couscous, chickpeas, carrots, cucumber, finely chopped red onion and cooked vegetables. Season with salt and pepper, finely chopped fresh herbs and some balsamic and olive oil. Toss in the olives. Serve room temperature. 

25 comments:

  1. Scary, but I'm glad to hear you are better now! Hugs to you Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling better now!! Health truly is wealth :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Maria, I'm so sorry to hear that you've been so sick! I hope you're feeling better soon. I hope you're being well taken care of as borderline pneumonia is nothing to be trifled with :) BTW your wedding photos were absolutely stunning, you looked beautiful!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well lately. Good to know though that you are starting to feel better...

    A delicious salad!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you feel better soon! Take good care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh no! so sorry to hear you've been sick- I do hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear!! Hope you feel better soon. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The perfect healing food... warm, nourishing, healthy fats - just what I would want to eat. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rest up and feel better soon, Maria. Sending good, healthy vibes your way :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That must've been scary, but I'm glad you're relatively ok now! Recover well. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a scary experience for you Maria, and your husband too! Glad to hear you are over the worst of it now and on the way back to good health!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely salad. Feel better soon, Maria.x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah yes .. the superbug! I'm in bed with it, too. :( Except in my case, my husband's away!! Lucky I have lovely friends to drop over soup and take my energetic 4 year old off my hands for hours at a time :)

    Take care, and lots of green tea ..
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to hear that you've been so unwell. I've a big box of cous cous in the cupboard at home so have printed out your recipe to try. Get well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please, please do not try and force a recovery: it does not work! if you were given antibiotics you had a bacterial infection, not viral and hence much more serious. There are some severe mutated basteria around Sydney at the moment. Please go slowly: we can wait with fingers crossed!! Try to get as much in the way of vegetable proteins into you as possible to help the recovery. The couscous salad is beautiful and will be made this week! A very good dish for yourself :) !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no! Really hope you're resting up and getting better. This is a wonderful recipe and i'm glad it brings back happy memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. feel better soon!! take it slow and relish the return of your strength as it comes back to you bit by bit...it surely will!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Voi kamalaa, siis hirveä tauti kertakaikkiaan - vie kaikki voimat pois :( Toivottavasti se oli ja meni ja voit jo paremmin! Varohan jälkitauteja ja ota rauhallisesti. Ihanan kuuloinen tämä salaatti. Mietinkin mitä tekisin noista munakoisoista ja kuskusiakin on kaapissa uusi paketillinen..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry to hear you are not feeling well Maria. I hope you will get well soon! Your health first, and we'll be patiently waiting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Made this last night - delicious, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much for inspiring my lunch today :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hei Maria! Löysin blogisi tänään ja olenpa onnellinen, että löysin! Aivan taivaallisia reseptejä, kauniita kuvia ja herkullista terveellistä ruokaa, joka sattuu olemaan myös oma kiinnostuksenkohteeni. Hauskan lisän blogiisi tuo vielä Australian vivahteet ja englanninkieli - jostain syystä nautin paljon enemmän englanninkielisten blogien kuin suomenkielisten lukemisesta.

    Jään ehdottomasti seurailemaan kokkailujasi, toivottavasti voit jo paremmin!

    Tämä salaatti on varmasti todella herkullista - oi että rakastankaan kikherneitä! Saattaa olla, että yritän vastaavanlaista kvinoasta, couscous ei ole suurin intohimoni kohde ja noita pusseja ja pakettejahan kaapissa riittää, joten ihan hyvä vaan jos ei tarvitse kerryttää niitä lisää :-)

    ReplyDelete