August 02, 2012

Marinated Chargrilled Capsicums


It's such a beautiful, sunny winter's day here in Sydney. I've been at home today; cleaning, doing loads of washing and crafting a little. I've taken multiple tea breaks and just sat on the balcony in the sunshine enjoying the warmth. This weather reminds me of late spring days back in Finland. 

I've also been enjoying the crisp, red capsicums I've seen in abundance at green grocers lately. I just had to take the opportunity to preserve some of those flavours for later, when capsicums are not as plentiful as they are now. This recipe proved simple and straight-forward and I'm sure these marinated chargrilled capsicums will be enjoyed with gusto during the next couple of months.


 

Marinated Chargrilled Capsicums
(Recipe adapted from taste.com.au)

1kg red capsicums
2 garlic cloves
60ml red wine vinegar
120ml extra-virgin olive oil
fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano), optional

1. Cut the capsicums into thick slices. Remove seeds and white pith.

2. Preheat a grill pan on high heat and place capsicum slices, skin-side down on the pan. Grill the slices (in batches) for about 10 minutes or until the skin is completely blackened. Remove from the grill and place in a strong and sealed plastic bag (minigrip or something similar). Leave for a few minutes, then rub the skins off and leave to cool.

3. Thinly slice the garlic cloves and mix red wine vinegar and olive oil in a separate bowl.

4. Layer capsicum slices and garlic (and herbs, if using) in to sterilised jars and pour the olive oil and vinegar mixture on top. Refrigerate for at least overnight before using. These will keep in the fridge for a few months.

11 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I love roasted red peppers and this looks so easy to do and use for later. I can just see them in grilled sandwiches, stuffed chicken, salads etc. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great recipe! this is the best way to eat them since it is the skins that are so hard to digest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore the flavor and the melt-in-your-mouth texture of roasted peppers. I often make something similar at home too adding lots of herbs to it. Then simply laid on bread sprinkled with goat cheese - it's the most divine thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm delicious I love peppers done like this. Ours are just getting ready to pick in the garden so this sounds like a great idea. Thanks Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roasted peppers on à sandwich or pizza is heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always bought these, but it looks so easy to make! I can't wait to make some of my own and add some herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love peppers and those look delicious. I bet they taste good on sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos of such a simply made wonderful standby! Know what one of my weekend 'jobs' will be! Oh, don't know why, but had real trouble reaching your site just now, and you are not the only site where readers have been frustrated during the past few days! Hope that the powers behind all this technology work out the glitches!! Have a lovely weekend . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Maria....not quite capsicum season here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i was just thinking what to do with my last 2 peppers in the fridge.. love to marinate and grill them but somehow the store bought ones often turn out to be better tasting than my homemade ones. i am using good quality oils and use them sparingly so maybe that could be the problem!?

    ReplyDelete
  11. these photos are stunning I love the red against the pale brown background! what a brilliant recipe!

    ReplyDelete