April 22, 2013

DIY Shelf System for the Study


I kick-started the new week with a bit of DIY for our study. I needed a shelving unit next to my desk where I could keep all the things I use almost daily plus display those things that inspire me in my work. I had bookmarked this DIY ages ago and when I came across it again this morning, I decided to try making my own version of it.

I wanted to keep the natural colour of wood because we have a lot of wooden items around our home anyway. I also happen to love the patterns in the wood so I didn't want to cover them by paint. I made the shelves a bit wider (9cm) and attached two 180cm long pieces of timber (each 23.5cm wide) together. Pine is soft enough to attach the screws by hand, so I needn't use any electrical tools; just a saw, a measuring tape, some sanding paper and a leveller. I'm sure no carpenter would approve of my work, but I am myself quite happy with the result :-)

Easy peasy and now I have new-found motivation for the coming week!

 

 



11 comments:

  1. Miten voikaan työhuoneen nurkkaus olla kaunis ja harmoninen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a good idea. I want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great, i prefer it the way you did it compared to the dark original!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Todella ihanan harmooninen fiilis tosiaan. Ihan mielettömän hyvä idea - en ollut nähnyt tämmöistä vielä missään! Kaunista viikonloppua!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! How did you build the foundation? Is it a wooden plank on the bottom as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No foundation needed, it's leaning against the wall so it's very steady even without one.

      Delete
  6. How did you attach the two planks for the back together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two blanks are held together by the shelves. They are not too heavy (being so narrow), so two screws on each shelf is sufficient (ie. you won't need one in the middle).

      Delete